Saturday, July 15, 2006

Goodbye

The past 2 nights and today I spent at the wake/funeral of my great grandma have really taught me a few lessons..

It's never easy to say goodbye.

I've never been super close to my great grandma, living apart and only seeing her once a year during Chinese New Year hasn't given me much chance to get to know her that well. Still, today as I watched the coffin being wheeled into the incinerator, and hearing the sobs of my elder relatives, I inadvertently found myself almost crying.

Funerals are not for the deceased, but for the living. It gives us the opportunity to say our last goodbyes, to face the fact that our loved one has passed on. It certainly got me thinking what would happen, what would I do if someone really close to me passed away. How would I react? How would I feel? We never like to envision such things, and the thought so alien that I almost find it impossible to think about. But I guess it's something we have to face sometime in our lives, sooner or later; but preferably later..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home