Thursday, February 09, 2006

Should this be so?

Somehow, it seems that the world is spiralling down to its doom. The longer we live, the worse it gets. It's terribly depressing how headlines are filled with news of death, how a few comics can bring about so much death and destruction. My first thought of course, was this, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE!??! I've always hated extremists, and fanatics... thought of them as idiots. I mean, geez, would any deity, god or buddha or allah, want his beloved followers to go around like some mass murderer? Would not the act of killing be a sin, against the very precepts of the religion itself? An all forgiving, all knowing, all-powerful etc etc god would be bemused by those 'silly people besmirching my name', but if he was angry, what makes the followers think they can do anything about it? Wouldn't he call some thunderstorm down to smite the "sinners"? Gods, maybe if they spent a little time more thinking instead running around killing people.....

My impression of them hasn't changed much. Yet, after some reflection and thought about it, they do have a point. People are, after all, governed by our emotions. I know I would be terribly pissed if something or someone I loved got insulted. So, in a way, their actions are justifiable if extreme. There are always two sides to a coin... did the Danish papers have the right to post insulting comics of the prophet? No, in my opinion, they did not. Free speech? Balderbash... Free speech is one thing, blatently insulting others is another. Look at it this way, insulting everyone around you isn't illegal or particularly wrong, just freaking stupid man! You're just going to get yourself punched in the face... That's just common sense man... or should that be 'uncommon' sense? Bah. I'd think intelligent, well educated, good writers and journalists should perhaps have more of such 'uncommon sense'. http://www.todayonline.com/articles/99786.asp Here's an article on the so called 'free speech'. Rather interesting..

Anyways, don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against free speech or religion.. What I'm saying is, all of us need to sit back and think hard about what things really mean to us. It's easy to get carried away in a rush of emotions; it happens to the best of us, no matter how hard we try. Still, a dash of (un)common sense in anything we do would help tons.

Bleah... I should learn THAT myself. So much for big talk:P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home